Student Services Manual (SSM)

[horizontal rule]

Effective: 9/1/1984

Revised: 1/09/2017

[horizontal rule]
[ASU logo]

SSM 802–02: Sales and Promotion (on Campus)

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

To control and limit sales and promotion on the Tempe campus

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

Memorial Union

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

Sales and promotion are allowed on Cady Mall, Hayden Lawn, and the Student Services lawn as described below.

  1. Registered student organizations or university departments are allowed to promote and/or sell services or commodities if proper paperwork is submitted to MU Event and Meeting Services and the product or service proposed does not create a conflict with any existing university contract or relationship. Requests for an exemption to this policy may be made to the Dean of Students.
  2. Off-campus companies or groups are prohibited from selling services or commodities unless under agreement or contract with the university.
  3. Individuals seeking personal gain are not allowed to sell services or commodities.

Sales and Promotion by Registered Student Organizations or University Departments

Registered student organizations or university departments must submit an Outdoor Event and Sales Request Form to Event and Meeting Services, Room 182 in the Memorial Union (MU), at least two weeks prior to the event in order to sell services or commodities or to promote on campus. If the request is approved, the organization may sell or promote for a designated time, as determined by Event and Meeting Services, during a regular five-day class week. Only approved members of registered student organizations may sell or promote on the mall. Event and Meeting Services requires a new request form from an organization that wishes to extend sales or promotion beyond one week.

Sales and Promotion by Off-Campus Companies or Groups

Businesses and organizations wishing to become approved vendors must register by submitting proper fees and paperwork to MU Event and Meeting Services.

Traffic Flow

To permit the free flow of pedestrian traffic, sales and promotions are limited to a specific area adjacent to the mall. To avoid obstructing the free flow of traffic, members staffing tables:

  1. must remain behind the tables


  2. may not circulate in the pedestrian traffic lanes to confront individuals.

Sales of Food Items

To ensure that a food request does not conflict with existing university food contracts and meets all health and safety regulations, registered student organizations must obtain approval for sales of food-related items or contracted service-related items. A signed Food Exception form must be approved by ASU’s Environmental Health & Safety and by the MU Administrative Office prior to the event.

The Food Exception form is available at Event and Meeting Services, Room 182 in the MU; in the Student Organization Support Office located on the third level of the MU; and on the MU Web site.

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

For information on registering as a vendor, see SSM 802–01, “Scheduling Outdoor Campus Activities Areas.”

skip navigation bar
SSM manual | ASU policies and procedures manuals | Index of Policies by Title | Educational Outreach and Student Services Web site

Back to Top

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional