Dear Student Organization Advisor,
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) appreciates your commitment to
serve as an advisor to a registered student organization at Arizona State University.
The advisor plays an integral role in helping student leaders create an environment
within their organizations that is productive, safe, enjoyable, and educational.
To adjust to the changing dynamic of higher education, and to advance a proactive
risk management strategy at Arizona State University, the SORC believes it is
important to provide clear guidance and support regarding the expected role you
will play as a facilitator advisor.
As an advisor you agree:
- That you are an employee (person employed by the university on a full- or part-time basis, including academic professionals, administrators, classified staff, faculty, and service professionals) at Arizona State University
and that you will notify SORC immediately if your employment status changes.
- To assist your student organization in developing realistic goals for the
academic year. This will contribute to the educational and personal development
of the students involved.
- To be familiar with the student organization's constitution and all other
governing documents, so that you may advise effectively.
- To attend executive office, general meetings, and organization events when
- To receive and review monthly financial reports from the organization's
- To encourage the officers of the organization to share information with
the general membership.
- To assist in the orientation of new members and with the transition process
- To be familiar with the Arizona Board of Regents Student Code of Conduct
and other institutional guidelines that establish expectations for student
behavior and activities.
- To guide the group and its officers to established policies, answer policy
questions, and explain the consequences for choosing to operate outside their
The SORC will continue to be a resource for you as an advisor in a variety of
capacities. In an effort to provide enhanced resources and guidance for advisors,
the SORC and Student Risk Management have introduced the Advisor Development
Series. Topics addressed in these sessions include event planning, travel, fundraising,
and organizational development. In addition, the SORC will also provide advisors
with relevant articles, newsletters, and professional development opportunities
throughout the year. For more information about these resources, please continue
to visit the SORC website or contact SORC.