Mission to Arizona, 1916-1940: Father Augustine Schwarz, O.F.M.

Mission to Pimería: St. Johns Mission - Religous Activities


photograph
LAB MSS-153/8:21

One of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondolet, is pictured here with the “Highest girls’ class of 1916-1917.” The first two sisters arrived at St. John’s Mission in 1901, where at first, they cooked out-of-doors, did all the wash by hand, boiled water until a deep well was available, and of course, taught school, music, and gave religious instruction.


They were an integral part of St. John’s until 1938, when the Franciscan Sisters of Christian charity of Manitowoc, Wisconsin replaced them.

photograph
LAB MSS-153/10:57
"First Communicants from Fr. Augustine's district, Christmas, 1921."

photograph
LAB MSS-153/10:58
Religious instruction was an important part of the curriculum, and here are the "First Communicant's, 1916."

   

photograph
LAB MSS-153/10:52
First Communicants of St. Johns School, December 28, 1921.

photograph
LAB MSS-153/10:55
"Fr. Cornelius and his First Communicant Class, April 1918."


photograph
LAB MSS-153/10:72

photograph
LAB MSS-153/10:70

There were many weddings at St. John's. Isabel Mariana married Felix Pablo in January 1919, while the Mission Band provided music.


St. John's Continued


Citations Pimería Home