The New ASU Story:
|Enlarge or Print this Image
(Requires Acrobat Reader)
Download this image
Students, faculty and staff in front of (l. to r.)
the Auditorium/Gymnasium, Old Main,
and the Science Building.
UP UPC ASUB C357 1920s #42
"There is a central group comprising the main building, science hall, and auditorium
which enclose a quadrangle of greensward, in the center of which is a fountain containing
various water plants." (Tempe Normal School 1913-14 catalog)
Old Main was opened in 1894; in 1908 the Science Hall (now the University Club)
was dedicated; and the Auditorium/Gymnasium building was opened in 1909 (razed in 1956)
to the west of Old Main, completing the historic "Quadrangle".
Old Main was completed and dedicated on February 4, 1898. The new center of education
for the Normal School was equipped with laboratories, a Geography Room, an Assembly Room,
a Music Room, a Drawing Room, an Auditorium, a Library, and museum and armory spaces.
As each of these buildings was completed, the auditorium and laboratory spaces in Old Main
were converted to classrooms and academic office spaces.
By 1933 the east half of the main floor of Old Main was converted to a "recreation hall,"
and Matthews Library was completed. Military Science, ROTC and Aerospace Studies academic
offices were located at Old Main as early as 1963, and Telephone Services was established
on the first floor ca. 1976.
When the Science and Office/Administration building opened in 1908 to accommodate science
education, it was amply supplied with up-to-date equipment. Also on the first floor of the
92' x 70' building were the offices of the President and the Board of Education in addition
to science rooms, the art department and a museum. The building later was used
as the Fine Arts Annex and now is the University Club.
The Auditorium/Gymnasium, a two-story brick building 72' by 100', was built in 1909 and
completed the "Quad". The first floor contained a large gymnasium with hardwood floors
and a running track with a gallery for spectators. A second-floor auditorium seated 1000.
The latest in equipment was assembled backstage to ease the production of a variety of
theatrical performances. The Language and Literature Building was built on this site in 1956.
Architect: Thornton Fitzhugh.