The New ASU Story:
Academic Freedom - Academic Programs
Download this image
Training School 1896-1968
A classroom environment was created for student teachers to
learn various teaching techniques. Each trainee taught practice school under
observation for forty minutes a day during the first semester. Juniors were
expected to spend at least an hour a day observing the other student teachers.
By 1902, seniors were required to teach one hour a day for thirty-six weeks.
Tempe Normal school set high standards and expected the school to be a model of excellence.
Students and student teachers in the training school classroom,
Only known interior photograph of the Normal/Original building
UP UPC ASUB T72 1890s #4
In 1906, the Training School expanded to the eighth grades and the R.H.H. Blome
Training School opened to accommodate increased enrollment. The program expanded
rapidly under Ira D. Payne, who became director of the education department in
1911. A new training school was built in 1928 and named for Payne to honor his
contributions and service. Due to an unfortunate fire in 1956, the Training
Program was forced to leave its home in the Payne School and to relocate its
260 elementary school students to makeshift quarters. After many successful years,
the program was discontinued at the completion of the 1968 spring term.
For more information about the College of Education, please visit:http://www.ed.asu.edu/