Financial Services Manual (FIN)

[horizontal rule]

Effective: 6/21/1983

Revised: 7/1/2014

[horizontal rule]
[ASU logo]

FIN 511: Receipts and Itemization

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

To provide a list of documents required for reimbursement of travel expenses

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

Financial Services

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

A traveler must submit the required documents when requesting reimbursement for travel expenses.

Original receipts are required before reimbursement is made. Receipts must be taped or stapled to 8 1/2-by-11-inch paper. Any justification for an expense must be noted beside the receipt. Multiple pages must be stapled in the upper left-hand corner. The department should keep copies of all receipts for future reference.

A traveler who wishes to use a canceled check as a receipt for expenses, other than lodging, must supply a photocopy of the canceled check that shows both the front and back. A photocopy that shows only the front of the canceled check is unacceptable as a receipt.

The documents and/or receipts required for reimbursement of transportation, or other expenses, are listed below.

Documents Required for Reimbursement of Transportation Expenses
Transportation Expenses Documents Required for Reimbursement
Airline fare/Airfare Itinerary or passenger coupon/receipt issued by the airline or travel agency showing passenger name, flights, flight dates, and out-of-pocket amounts paid by the traveler for the airfare. ASU does not reimburse for the use of personal frequent-flyer miles, or other airline compensation vouchers, that cover or reduce the amount paid by the traveler.
Bus fare Original receipt
Chartered aircraft Invoice from airplane company
Local transportation (shuttles, taxis, public transportation, or car services) Transportation between home or work place, airport terminals, lodging, and the meeting site (travel destination), is reimbursable without receipts if the total expense per ride is $50 or less.
Parking (airport parking and mileage expense) For privately owned cars/vehicles, is permitted if the cost is less than taxi fare to and from the airport from home or work place, whichever is applicable, and reimbursable without a receipt if $50 or less.
Privately owned aircraft Only those individuals approved and authorized, prior to travel, by ASU Insurance Services may claim privately owned or rented aircraft reimbursement. Contact Insurance Services for specifics.
Rented car/vehicle Original receipt. Before renting the vehicle, the traveler renting the vehicle must attend defensive driver training. The defensive driver training is valid for a specified number of years. See EHS 119, “Motor Fleet Safety,” for additional information.
Train fare Original receipt
Valet parking Reimbursable under certain circumstances with justification and original receipt. Valet tip should not exceed $2.
Documents Required for Reimbursement of Other Expenses
Other Expenses Documents Required for Reimbursement
Conference materials Original receipts
Local calls Original receipt, typically included in lodging receipt
Lodging Original itemized receipt
Long distance calls (university business only) Original receipt, typically included in the lodging receipt
Meals (per diem only) None
Registration Original receipt


[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

For information on the requirements for using rental cars/vehicles and/or privately owned cars/vehicles, see the Environmental Health & Safety Policies and Procedures ManualEHS 119, “Motor Fleet Safety.”

  skip navigation bar

FIN manual | ASU policies and procedures manuals | Index of Policies by Title | FIN manual contact | Financial Services Web site

Back to Top

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional