Academic Affairs Manual (ACD)

[horizontal rule]

Effective: 9/1/1983

Revised: 7/1/2011

[horizontal rule]
[ASU logo]

ACD 517–02: Employment of Nonimmigrant International Students

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

To outline requirements for the hiring of nonimmigrant international students

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

Nonimmigrant students holding J-1 and F-1 visas

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

On-Campus Employment

Students with F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant status may be employed for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year, and full-time during vacation periods and summer, if:

  1. they maintain a full course of study, in accordance with federal regulations on file in the International Student Office (ISO)
  2. they are authorized by the Immigration and Naturalization Service to attend ASU (as evidenced by their I-20 ID or Form IAP-66)
  3. they have not exceeded their program without filing a timely request for an extension or for reinstatement


  4. their employment does not displace a U.S. resident (except for employment pursuant to an assistantship, to which the displacement rule does not apply).

Sponsored J-1 Students

J-1 students who are not on ASU sponsorship must receive permission from their program sponsor to work on campus.

Social Security Numbers

International students who will be employed by the university must obtain a social security number.

Off-Campus Employment

Practical Training

F-1 students obtain permission to work from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service through the ISO. J-1 students obtain permission to work from the program sponsor. This employment can be full-time.

Employment Based on Financial Necessity

F-1 students obtain permission from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (through the ISO); J-1 students obtain permission from the program sponsor. This employment is limited to 20 hours per week and is granted only when unforeseen financial hardship can be demonstrated.

[horizontal rule]


[horizontal rule]

For further information, see the Student Services Manual— SSM 304–08, “Employment of Nonimmigrant International Students.”

[horizontal rule]

Additional Information

[horizontal rule]

Additional information regarding the employment of international students may be obtained by contacting the International Student Office in the Student Life Office, located in room B225 of the Student Services Building (telephone: 480/965–7451; mail code 0501).


skip navigation bar

ACD manual | ASU policies and procedures manuals | Index of Policies by Title | ACD manual contact | Provost’s Office Web site

Back to Top

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional