Mission to Arizona, 1916-1940: Father Augustine Schwarz, O.F.M.
Mission to Papaguería: St. Joseph's Church, Pisinimo
Things would soon change. "God is blessing our Papago mission at Pisinemo," wrote Bonaventure Oblasser wrote in 1930, adding "that attendance at school is increasing so much we are forced to hold classes in the chapel." Four years later, the villagers built a new adobe church while the old church, San Jose, became the schoolhouse.
Some time in the seventies, a local artist painted traditional pottery and basket designs in bold colors on the exterior of the church and the school, while the saguaro heads were topped with metal crosses.