Mission to Arizona, 1916-1940: Father Augustine Schwarz, O.F.M.


Mission to Papaguería: St. Clare Church, Anegam



The earliest chapel in the tiny village of Anegam, "Place of the Willows," was found to be in use as early as 1911. Some time later, the Marquette League and others, provided funds for a new church, which was built by Father Gerard Brennecke, and blessed by the Bishop of Tucson on April 30, 1918.

 

photograph
LAB MSS-153/22:100



The Santa Clara Day School, also pictured here, opened to 50 students on September 1, 1919. This building was probably the earlier chapel, which later became a feast house, often called a parish hall.
  photograph


Father Schwarz photographed its first Communion Class on the steps of the new church, St. Clare, one year later.
photograph
LAB MSS-153/22:101

photograph
LAB MSS-153/22.104

photograph
LAB FILM S104:5

Santa Clara Day School students proudly display the American flag in January 1920. Their school later became a feast house, shown here with a field cross.



photograph
LAB FILM S104:13
In the winter of 1927, Father Tiburtus Wand, O.F.M. wrote that the "Anegam roof was taken down by a storm." This may have been the period when the original "snow roof" which had been installed by a German carpenter, was rebuilt. A free-standing bell tower was added in the 1960s.

In 2001, the 83 year-old church and out buildings, now white with dark maroon trim, are showing signs of age. A ramp for disabled parishioners is a twentieth-century addition, testifying to the continued attendance at St. Clare Church, Anegam.


Citations Papaguería Home