Mission to Arizona, 1916-1940: Father Augustine Schwarz, O.F.M.

Mission to Apachería: Fort Apache


photograph
LAB MSS-153/26.131

Soon after Fort Apache Military Post closed, Congress passed an act (January 24, 1923) that established Theodore Roosevelt Boarding School on the grounds of the old fort. The first students at the school were Navajo, and Father Augustine photographed them in 1924 by the old post chapel (1897), where the first classes were taught.

photograph
LAB MSS-153/26.132

photograph
LAB FILM S119:19

In the beginning, the old cavalry barracks was used for student housing.

photograph
LAB MSS-153/26:130
 
Apache students later attended the school exclusively, where vocational skills such as farming and animal husbandry formed a major part of the curriculum.

In 1932, the Works Progress Administration constructed sturdy new dormitories from local sandstone. Now, in 2002, the boys' dormitory has been boarded up and closed for some time, while the girls' dorm has become co-ed and still in use.


photograph
LAB FILM S119:14
photograph
LAB FILM S119:15

Citations Apachería Home