Mission to Arizona, 1916-1940: Father Augustine Schwarz, O.F.M.
Mission to Papaguería: Chapel for Indians, at Ajo Copper Mine
Ajo was a copper mining town located on the western edge of the Papago Reservation. In 1973, James Griffith wrote that some kind of chapel was there since a bell had been purchased in 1922 for the sum of $46.00. Father Schwarz' 1920 photograph shows that indeed, a sturdy wooden building was in place but there was as yet, no bell. This structure was replaced by a new chapel in 1942 and dedicated to St. Catherine. Fire destroyed the building a few years later.