|Main Page||Discovering The River||New Horizons On The River||Redefining The River: Lake Powell|
Construction of the Glen Canyon Dam changed the Colorado River and the Greene family's future. A plan to continue the family business as a concession on the new Lake Powell was a vision and a dream with many obstacles to overcome. The Greene's created Canyon Tours, Inc. and in 1953 purchased a grazing lease of six school sections of land owned by Arizona. This purchase gave their commercial lease application "preferential" status. The lease was obtained and construction began for the cabins, café, and airstrip that would be known as Wahweap Trailer Village.
In early May, 1956 the Bureau of Reclamation asked the Greene Family to give the federal government all 4,480 acres of the family's leased land. Art Greene wrote to Senators Barry Goldwater (his friend and fellow river runner) and Carl Hayden seeking political intervention. Secretary of Interior Fred Seaton issued instructions that allowed the Greene Family to continue operation of their businesses after 3 sections of their original leased land including the airstrip, were relinquished to the federal government. After nearly seventeen years in the recreation/ tourism business, in 1959 the National Park Service formally awarded to the Greene's the concession for operating all recreational facilities on the southern part of Lake Powell.
While land negotiations continued for six years, the Greene family operated businesses at several sites. Cliff Dwellers Lodge now served as headquarters for the Glen Canyon Surveyors under the management of Ruth (Greene) and Vern Baker, while Grace (Greene), Mel Schoppman and Irene (Greene) and Earl Johnson managed the Wahweap Trailer Village. Scalers who climbed the canyon walls and placed the dynamite in strategic places lived in the Wahweap Trailer Village during the work with the dam builders. Through contacts with Mel Schoppman, Hollywood studio staff enjoyed the Greene Family's hospitality during the filming of Planet of the Apes, Bandelaro, and The Greatest Story Ever Told.
Bill Greene, his wife Evelyn and daughter Judi moved to Phoenix in 1956, where Bill co-founded the Deer Valley Airport while overseeing construction of the Wahweap Lodge. Lake Powell Motel and Restaurant opened in 1957 on US Route 89A and served as a refuge for celebrities and royalty until the Wahweap Lodge and Marina was completed.
The air strip that the family built at Wahweap served the area's small aircraft until the city of Page was founded in 1957. From 1956- 1963 short river trips were available from Lee's Ferry to the Glen Canyon Dam site.