Title Page / Introduction / Chronology / Academic Freedom: Academic Programs, Research / Campus Lives: Campus Scenes, Student Organizations, Athletes / Leadership / Community, Collaboration and Partnership / Landmarks / Bibliography & Links / Credits

The New ASU Story:
Landmarks


Previous Image
Category Index
Next Image

Download this image
(ZIP file)

All Saints Catholic Newman Center and "A" Mountain
ca. 1965
Photographer: Taylor Publishing Co.
CP SPC 144.1

Though the school name was changed to Arizona State Teachers College in 1928, it was 10 years before the letter "A" was installed on the hill. In 1952, a bomb blast destroyed by unknown students (State Press, 9/19/52) that letter. The present "A" on the butte was built in 1955 using reinforced steel and poured concrete. It measures sixty feet in height.
All Saints Catholic Newman Center and 'A' Mountain, ca. 1965


University Archives
Department of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries
Last updated: August, 2000
Send questions or comments to [email protected]

ASU Libraries: Architecture | Downtown Phoenix | Hayden | Law | Music | Polytechnic | Science | West