The curve of Mill Avenue and the future site of Gammage Auditorium are seen in the upper
right of the photograph. The upper left of the photograph shows Goodwin Stadium (1936-1976).
The concrete football stadium, located at College Avenue and Apache Boulevard, boasted seating for
5,000. It was named for Garfield Goodwin, a member of the 1899 Normal School football team, which
was the first to play and beat the University of Arizona. |
Haigler Hall (1941-1978),
on the east side of the football field, provided seating for 5000 additional spectators and
doubled as a dormitory for men. Haigler Hall was named for Charles Haigler, a member of
the first Normal School football team in 1896.