Download this image
The Victory Bell that hung in the dining hall until 1939 summoned
Arizona State Teachers College students to meals. After World War II, the bell
became a trophy awarded to the winner of the ASU and U of A football game. It
was also sounded for athletic victories. Finally, when Senator Carl Hayden
donated a piece of sandstone from the original White House, the bell was
installed on this pedestal and given a place of honor on the west patio of the
Memorial Union. The bell was removed some time in the 1970s when the Memorial
Union was remodeled. Its current location is unknown.
Cheerleaders lead the audience in song during the installation of the "Victory Bell" at Memorial Union opening reception.
UP UPC ASUG V52 #7