Title Page / Introduction / Chronology / Academic Freedom: Academic Programs, Research / Campus Lives: Campus Scenes, Student Organizations, Athletes / Leadership / Community, Collaboration and Partnership / Landmarks / Bibliography & Links / Credits

The New ASU Story:

Previous Image
Category Index
Next Image

Download this image
(ZIP file)

Philomathian Bench
ca. 1934
Photographer: Close

The Philomathian Society (Alpha Delta Pi) was a mandatory literary society established by President Matthews in 1900 that disbanded in 1911. The Society resurfaced in 1921 as an all-female literary society. In 1929, the bench was given to the school by the society with assistance from the Alumni Association.
Philomathian Bench, ca. 1934

University Archives
Department of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries
Last updated: August, 2000
Send questions or comments to archives@mainex1.asu.edu

ASU Libraries: Architecture | Downtown Phoenix | Hayden | Law | Music | Polytechnic | Science | West