Matthews Library, located just south of the Industrial Arts Building,
opened in 1930 and was dedicated in part to the library collection. In 1955, the library
was expanded to accommodate 800,000 books but when university status was attained in 1958,
the demands of advanced degrees and faculty research facilitated the need for a new library.
In 1966, after 36 years of service, Matthews Library was closed and the sixteen miles of books
moved to the new Charles Trumbull Hayden Library. The building now houses administrative
offices, the Institute for Studies in the Arts, and Prism.
At the upper right, the freestanding building is Moeur Activity Building, a women's
gymnasium and social hall constructed in 1939 of adobe brick manufactured by the WPA.
It was the administration and registration building, and now houses the MARS Global
Space Flight Facility.