Title Page / Introduction / Chronology / Academic Freedom: Academic Programs, Research / Campus Lives: Campus Scenes, Student Organizations, Athletes / Leadership / Community, Collaboration and Partnership / Landmarks / Bibliography & Links / Credits

The New ASU Story:
Academic Freedom - Research

Previous Image
Category Index
Next Image

Enlarge or Print this Image
(Requires Acrobat Reader)

Charles Trumbull Hayden Library opened in 1966 as the first building dedicated to library holdings and research service. The collections supported all the university academic programs. When the 205,000 square feet of space for the collections and the student study spaces reached its limit, reading rooms opened in other colleges, which eventually became five additional library branches on the main campus.
Phoenix Gazette article about Hayden Library, 11/29/66

Charles Trumbull Hayden Library
Phoenix Gazette
UE ASU Info File 1129

Today, Hayden Library houses materials in the humanities, social sciences and special collections. An addition was opened in 1989, adding 1500 seats and shelving for an additional 375,000 volumes.

University Archives
Department of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries
Last updated: August, 2000
Send questions or comments to archives@mainex1.asu.edu

ASU Libraries: Architecture | Downtown Phoenix | Hayden | Law | Music | Polytechnic | Science | West