Download this image
The first student-run newspaper was the Normal Echo, which appeared
in the Tempe News and was published every Saturday during 1890-91.
In 1906, the campus newspaper reappeared as the weekly Tempe Normal Student.
Soon after the 1925 school name change, the paper became The Tempe Collegian,
and it included state and national news by the end of the 1920s.
Tempe Normal Student Staff
UP UPC ASUD S886.T4 #5
With the 1928 name change, the paper became The Collegian.
Again in 1936, the staff renamed the paper the Arizona State Press and
attempted to expand circulation to Tempe residents and beyond.
Under the new name State Press, it returned to campus circulation exclusively.
While the State Press was published 4 times a week from 1964-1984,
it began daily distribution in 1984.
From 1932 to 1975, the paper was hosted by the Journalism Department at ASU. Today,
the State Press is managed by the staff of Student Media. (USM 290)
Visit the State Press online at