Title Page / Introduction / Chronology / Academic Freedom: Academic Programs, Research / Campus Lives: Campus Scenes, Student Organizations, Athletes / Leadership / Community, Collaboration and Partnership / Landmarks / Bibliography & Links / Credits

The New ASU Story:

Previous Image
Category Index
Next Image

Enlarge or Print this Image
(Requires Acrobat Reader)

Plat of the Campus

The plat identifies the structures that comprised Tempe Normal School in 1907. The solid black illustrates the existing buildings, and the shaded areas are projected buildings. In 1907, almost all of the original 20 acres were in use. The Original Building was razed in 1906 and replaced with the Blome Training School. Athletic facilities were also plentiful - there were tennis courts, the first athletic field (Normal Field), and athletic quarters built in 1899. The First Dining Hall, built in 1905 and mainly intended for non-resident students, could seat about 200 diners. This 60' x 80' building (located at the present site of Life Sciences) was razed in 1961.

Plat of the Campus, 1907

University Archives
Department of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries
Last updated: August, 2000
Send questions or comments to archives@mainex1.asu.edu

ASU Libraries: Architecture | Downtown Phoenix | Hayden | Law | Music | Polytechnic | Science | West