Title Page / Introduction / Chronology / Academic Freedom: Academic Programs, Research / Campus Lives: Campus Scenes, Student Organizations, Athletes / Leadership / Community, Collaboration and Partnership / Landmarks / Bibliography & Links / Credits

The New ASU Story:
Academic Freedom - Research

Previous Image
Category Index
Next Image

Download this image
(ZIP file)

As early as 1914 President A. J. Matthews recognized the need for a new library. Opened in 1930, Matthews Library, named for the past president, was dedicated in part to the library collection. In 1955 the library was expanded to accommodate 800,000 books, but with university status attained in 1958, the demands of advanced degrees and faculty research

Matthews Library, 1950s

Matthews Library
ASUB M382 #56

facilitated the need for a new library. In 1966, after 36 years of service, Matthews Library was closed and sixteen miles of books were moved to the new Charles Trumbull Hayden Library.

University Archives
Department of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries
Last updated: August, 2000
Send questions or comments to archives@mainex1.asu.edu

ASU Libraries: Architecture | Downtown Phoenix | Hayden | Law | Music | Polytechnic | Science | West