Title Page / Introduction / Chronology / Academic Freedom: Academic Programs, Research / Campus Lives: Campus Scenes, Student Organizations, Athletes / Leadership / Community, Collaboration and Partnership / Landmarks / Bibliography & Links / Credits

The New ASU Story:
Landmarks

Previous Image
Category Index
Next Image

Download this image
(ZIP file)


Arizona Territorial Normal School
Architect: J.M.Creighton
Photographer: Phoenix View Co.
1890
UP UPC ASUB N623 #1
Arizona Territorial Normal School, 1890
The first building on the campus of the Arizona Territorial Normal School was a 60' x 70' red clay (from Tempe Butte) brick building with four rooms. Each room was 30' x 30'. There was a ten foot hallway through the center running north and south, and a ten foot porch surrounding the building. Other features included in the building were sixty-four French doors which provided cross ventilation in each room, sheet metal stoves for heating with mesquite wood, a well with a windmill, and outhouses. Horses were boarded in a pasture for fifty cents per month or five dollars for the year. Parking was the same fee. The Original Building, as it was referred to, was razed in 1906.


University Archives
Department of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries
Last updated: August, 2000
Send questions or comments to [email protected]

ASU Libraries: Architecture | Downtown Phoenix | Hayden | Law | Music | Polytechnic | Science | West