Title Page / Introduction / Chronology / Academic Freedom: Academic Programs, Research / Campus Lives: Campus Scenes, Student Organizations, Athletes / Leadership / Community, Collaboration and Partnership / Landmarks / Bibliography & Links / Credits

The New ASU Story:
Academic Freedom - Research




Category Index
Next Image

Download this image
(ZIP file)


On opening day the Territorial School at Tempe library consisted of a dictionary and a terrestrial globe on a shelf in the original building. Today the ASU Libraries nine branches have a collection of 3.1 million volumes, ranked 37th largest research library in the US and Canada.

The first mention of a library in the 1889 catalog listed the holdings as

Normal School Library 2nd  floor Old Main, 1907

Normal School Library 2nd floor Old Main
1907
ASUB O42 #105

a newly acquired Encyclopedia Britannica. Old Main opened in 1898, and the new library housed 700 volumes on history, science, education and general literature, and other periodicals including publications from the Smithsonian Institution. As attendance increased and new degrees were added, the library collection expanded to support the new curriculum. Matthews Library opened in 1930 with 14,000 volumes.


University Archives
Department of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries
Last updated: August, 2000
Send questions or comments to archives@mainex1.asu.edu

ASU Libraries: Architecture | Downtown Phoenix | Hayden | Law | Music | Polytechnic | Science | West