Title Page / Introduction / Chronology / Academic Freedom: Academic Programs, Research / Campus Lives: Campus Scenes, Student Organizations, Athletes / Leadership / Community, Collaboration and Partnership / Landmarks / Bibliography & Links / Credits

The New ASU Story:

Category Index
Next Image

Enlarge or Print this Image
(Requires Acrobat Reader)

Tempe School Land, Page 1
Tempe School Land, Page 2
Tempe School Land, Page 3
Tempe School Land, Page 4
Tempe School Land, Page 5
Tempe School Land, Page 6

Deeds to Tempe School Land
Land Acquisitions 1885-1936
MSS-98 Box 67 Folder 2/OV1

George W. Wilson and Martha V. Wilson originally agreed to exchange five acres of their property for $500 raised by the citizens of Tempe. The Wilsons then generously donated 15 additional acres of land, creating the core of the original 20 acre campus. They continued to use the land to graze cattle for their business, the Pioneer Meat Market. In 1906 George Wilson became grounds keeper - a position he held for the next 25 years. Wilson Hall is named for him.

 Deeds to Tempe School Land, 1885-1936

University Archives
Department of Archives and Manuscripts
Arizona State University Libraries
Last updated: August, 2000
Send questions or comments to archives@mainex1.asu.edu

ASU Libraries: Architecture | Downtown Phoenix | Hayden | Law | Music | Polytechnic | Science | West