University Archives was established by the University Libraries in 1972 with the appointment of Alfred Thomas as ASU's first University Archivist. Thomas had previously served as University Registrar and Director of Admissions.
In 1973, Archives collections were moved to the President's Cottage, the home of past presidents Arthur John Matthews, Ralph Swetman, and Grady Gammage between 1907-1959. In 1985, the University Archives became part of the department of Archives and Special Collections. Archives collections and reference services were moved to the Luhrs Reading Room of Hayden Library in 1995.
The New ASU Story is a digital exhibit and an historical overview of ASU from 1885 to present that includes historical images information, manuscripts, and ephemera.
The site serves as a delivery device that enables anyone to download archival photographs for their research and educational pursuits.
University Archives maintains collections of university publications, archival records, manuscripts, theses and dissertations, photographs, and negatives, video and audio recordings, oral histories, and newsclipping files. The Archives' continuting mission is to acquire, preserve and make available the historical records of Arizona State University that document the origin, development and achievements of this institution and its officers, faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
University Archives actively solicits manuscripts, personal papers, photographs and other research materials documenting the history of Arizona State University and its predecessor institutions. Our principal interest is in unpublished materials such as correspondence, diaries, photographs, scrapbooks or research files. Every effort will be taken to provide for the security and care of donated material.