Office of General Counsel

General/Misc Frequently Asked Questions

See also "legal information/briefing papers" on this site for information on additional relevant issues and/or answers to other commonly asked questions.


I have a student who possibly cheated on an exam or an assignment. How should I address this situation?

Begin by reviewing the Student Academic Integrity Policy. This policy defines academic integrity and provides guidelines for evaluating this type of concern.


What, if any, release form(s) might I need for an event or activity? (For example, I teach an outdoor recreation class that requires a hike up South Mountain. Should students sign any type of release before participating in the hike?)

Yes. If students are required to participate in field trips, events, or other activities (or even if participation is voluntary), each student must sign a release and/or waiver. Contact ASU's Risk Management to determine if this is necessary, and if so, Risk Management will provide a release/waiver specific to the program/event.


What if I suspect fraudulent or illegal activity on campus and/or in a university workplace?

Raising concerns about safety and/or non-compliance with laws, regulations, and policies applicable to ASU is a service to the university and to the community. In addition to your personal safety, areas of compliance include: financial transactions, contractual agreements, IT system and network security, NCAA rules, environmental health and safety, research administration, and equal opportunity. If you should need to report such concerns anonymously, visit the ASU Hotline Web page. For more related information and guidance on best practices, refer to the University Audit and Advisory Services Web site, the Financial Services Web site, the university's policy on Misuse of University Assets.


What should I do if public records are requested of me, whether it is a verbal request or in writing?

Refer to the information regarding "public records requests" on this Web site.


Am I required to accept legal papers or documents (such as a summons, a subpoena, or other court papers) on behalf of ASU or someone with whom I work?

You are not required to accept a summons and complaint, notice of claim, subpoena for personal appearance, or other court papers on behalf of ASU or someone else who works at ASU. Furthermore, you are not required to provide any additional information about the individuals being served. However, if you receive any of these documents in the mail, or if you inadvertently accept such documents from a process server, you should contact OGC immediately.

A subpoena for records from ASU (subpoena duces tecum) must be personally served upon the appropriate custodian of records for the type of records being sought (e.g., Office of Human Resources for personnel records; Office of the Registrar for student records). The appropriate custodian of records should accept service of the subpoena duces tecum and consult with the Office of General Counsel as necessary.

Note: Delays in responding to these documents could have severe legal consequences for individuals and/or the university.


Some of the legal material found at this site has been abridged from laws, regulations, court decisions, administrative rulings, ABOR and ASU policies and other sources. Further details may be necessary for complete analysis and understanding in particular matters. The information contained at this site, and related links, is not a substitute for professional legal counsel. Any discrepancy between the information at this site and ASU policy is not intended to alter or amend official ASU policy or procedure.

Any links to non-Arizona State University information are provided as a courtesy. They are not intended to nor do they constitute an endorsement by the Arizona Board of Regents or Arizona State University of the linked materials.