Welcome to STARTALK!
ASU Chinese Language Camp: From STARTALK to Flagship 2013 offers a 15-day intensive residential program for motivated 8th-12th grade students in Arizona. This program provides a great opportunity for both heritage and non-heritage learners to explore and expand their knowledge in Chinese language and culture through a highly structured theme- and task-based curriculum. During the program, students will receive instructions in Chinese language and participate in fun, hands-on cultural activities. After the program, students will commit to continuing their Chinese language learning.
The program boasts a living-learning setting, where participants gain first-hand college life experience. All evening activities are monitored and supervised by resident advisors who reside in the residence hall with students. We hope that through this summer camp, high school students will see the value and fun of learning and exploring the language and culture beyond a structured classroom setting and eventually become life-long learners of Chinese language.
|Date:||June 9 - 23, 2013|
|Cost:||FREE. Tuition, room and board, and instructional materials and field trip will be covered by the STARTALK grant.|
|Registration Fee:||Only selected candidates will pay $150 non-refundable registration fee upon acceptance of the program.|
|Eligibility:||Current Arizona 8-12th grade students whose proficiency level of the Chinese language ranges from zero to intermediate.|
|Place:||Arizona State University Tempe Campus|
Chinese Language Classes:
I) Level I
- Students with no prior knowledge of Chinese or with less than one year of Chinese language study in high school
- Focuses on developing basic listening and speaking skills
II) Level II
- Students who have studied Chinese for one or two years
- Focuses on developing and increasing listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
III) Level III
- Students who have taken Chinese for three years or more
- Focuses on increasing and refining listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
Chinese Cultural Activities:
- Focus on increasing students' knowledge of Chinese culture
- Offer various hands-on activities:
|Chinese knots||Chinese calligraphy||Chinese painting|
|Chinese dance||Chinese paper cut||Martial Arts|
Interested students should send the following materials to Dr. Xia Zhang at Arizona State University, postmarked by April 5, 2013:
- Completed application form.
- A copy of your most recent grade report from your current school.
- Two recommendation forms from your teachers. One of the forms should be written by a foreign language teacher from whom you have taken a foreign language class. Applicants need to mail the recommendation forms along with other application materials.
- Chinese character form, if applicable.
[Download StarTalk application] [Download form for Chinese characters]
Mail application package to:
Dr. Xia Zhang, Startalk Chinese Language Summer Camp
School of International Letters and Cultures
Arizona State University
PO Box 870202
Tempe, AZ 85287-0202
Acceptance and Notification
The ASU STARTALK Chinese Language Summer Camp will send you an email notification that your application has been received. We are unable to accept telephone calls regarding the status of student applications while they are being processed. Applicants will be notified by email regarding their acceptance to the program by the end of April.
Food and Housing
Details concerning student food and housing arrangements are coming. Dormitory arrangements are being arranged at Barrett, the Honor's College at the ASU Tempe campus. Read more about Barrett, the Honors College Residential Community here.
Media Release Form, Medical Release Form, Field Trip Form and Forms required by STARTALK Central
Accepted participants will be required to complete the media release form, medical release form, field trip form, and other forms required by STARTALK Central.
Chinese Classes at ASU
All participants are highly encouraged to take one Chinese language class in both Fall 2013 and Spring 2014. Below are some of the classes ASU will offer in 2012-2013:CHI 101 First-year Chinese I (5 credits)
CHI 102 First-year Chinese II (5 credits)
CHI 201 Second-year Chinese I (5 credits)
CHI 202 Second-year Chinese II (5 credits)
CHI 301 Third-year Chinese I (5 credits)
Accelerated Chinese classes (complete two courses in one semester) will also be availableCHI 101 & 102 (10 credits)
CHI 201 & 202 (10 credits)
If you have any questions pertaining to the application process or the ASU Chinese Language Camp, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.