Student Services Manual (SSM)

[ASU logo]

SSM 201–18 Table

The student:

  1. notifies the Veterans Services Office or University Registrar Services about activation for military duty and obtains the Military Activation Form


  2. completes the form, attaches a copy of the military orders regarding activation, and submits everything to Veterans Services.

The Veterans Services Section:

  1. reviews the form and verifies the military orders
  2. reviews the available academic record options with the student and refers the student to the academic department for assistance, if needed, to facilitate selection:
    1. incompletes
    2. complete withdrawal
    3. course withdrawal


    4. letter grade submitted by instructor (if warranted for classes near completion).
  1. notifies University Registrar Services if the student selects withdrawal options. Advises student to consult with individual instructors regarding the options of receiving a letter grade or incomplete


  2. reviews financial obligations identified by a student seeking withdrawal from classes and (if time permits) refers the student to the appropriate business offices (e.g., Financial Aid and Scholarship Services, Student Housing, Parking Services, ASU Bookstore, Campus Health Service) to discuss refund eligibility or notifies offices of potential refund on the student’s behalf.

University Registrar Services:

  1. processes the student’s withdrawal and indicates on the student’s SIS record that military activation occurred for the relevant semester(s) to preserve the student’s catalog year


  2. notifies the Student Accounts and Cashiering Services Office about a possible refund resulting from withdrawals.

The Student Accounts and Cashiering Services Office determines and initiates an appropriate refund of tuition and fees paid by the student.

Note: Although complete withdrawal may result in a 100% refund, partial withdrawal may not generate a tuition refund if the remaining hours are 7 or more for resident students or 12 or more for nonresident students.

Other business offices, after notification from University Registrar Services, determine and initiate appropriate refunds if the student requested withdrawal from classes.

Return to SSM 201–18

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional