SPP 214: Flexible Employment
To permit employees who normally work 12 months a year to
volunteer to reduce their time worked by one to six pay periods a
Regular classified, service professional, and administrative
The Flexible Employment Program allows regular classified, service professional, and
who work 12 months a year and are paid a salary over this
12-month period (26 pay periods) to volunteer to reduce their
time worked during the year. Time may be reduced from a minimum
of one pay period (two weeks) to a maximum of six pay
periods (12 weeks) with the approval of the appropriate
administrative official. An employee who is interested in
enrolling should discuss this with his or her supervisor,
complete a Flexible Employment
Conversion Application Program Agreement, and obtain
approval from the appropriate administrative official.
The salary and full-time equivalency (FTE) of an employee are reduced
proportionately. The reduced salary continues to be paid over the entire 12-month period, including during non-work periods as designated at the time of entry into the program. All benefit programs in which employees are enrolled can be continued uninterrupted. However, some benefits,
such as retirement contributions and vacation and sick leave
accruals, will be reduced based on the proportionately reduced
salary and/or FTE. Employee and university contributions, where
applicable, are made at the appropriate premium or percentage of
the proportionately reduced salary.
Flexible Employment Program
- Participation in the program must not reduce FTE below 50
- The duration of non-work periods must be at least one pay
period (one-half month) but not more than six pay periods (three
- Non-work periods do not have to be consecutive.
- Once an employee volunteers for and is enrolled in the program,
he or she must remain in the program for a minimum of 12
consecutive months unless:
- employment with ASU is terminated
- the parties agree in writing to terminate the program agreement
before completion of 12 consecutive months in the
- Upon enrollment in the program, the employee’s annual
salary and FTE will be proportionately reduced based on the
remaining number of pay periods to be worked during the following
- Appropriate payroll changes reflecting reduced annual salary,
pay rate, and FTE must be made.
- The reduced salary will be paid to the employee in accordance
with the agreement.
- All benefit programs in which the employee is enrolled will
continue uninterrupted throughout the 12-month period following
enrollment in the program (including during non-work periods)
unless employment is terminated or the employee waives
participation in or becomes ineligible to participate in the
benefit program(s). However, some salary-related benefits such as
retirement contributions and vacation and sick leave accruals will
be reduced because of the reduction in salary and/or FTE.
- Employee and university contributions to benefit programs will
be made as long as the employee remains eligible for and is a
participant in the benefit program(s). These contributions will be
made in accordance with the agreement, unless employment is
terminated or the employee ceases to be a participant in the
- The employee must notify the Office of Human Resources if any payroll
deduction changes are necessary for tax sheltered annuities,
savings bonds, flexible spending accounts, or other deductions
designated as dollar amounts.
- The employee will accrue vacation and sick leave based on their reduced FTE.
- Accrued vacation and sick leave will be taken at a reduced rate based on the employee’s FTE and will not provide the employee with additional pay. The use of accrued vacation and sick leave may be taken only during work periods.
- If the employee is a participant in the Arizona State
Retirement System, service
credit for retirement is earned in accordance with the policies of
the Arizona State Retirement System during non-work periods.
- Employee and university contributions to the Arizona State
Retirement System or Optional
Retirement Plan will continue in accordance with the
- During periods of non-work, employees cannot use vacation
leave, sick leave, or any other leave accrual.
- If a holiday falls during a non-work period, the employee will
receive his or her regular proportionately reduced salary for that
pay period. No additional pay will be received for the
- After completion of the first 12 months in the program, the
employee’s FTE and salary will revert to the former status
prior to entering the program, plus any salary adjustments approved
while the employee was enrolled in the program.
- If the employee wishes to volunteer to remain in the program
for an additional 12-month period, he or she must complete a
Flexible Employment Conversion Application Program Agreement and
obtain approval from the appropriate administrative official.
- Vacant positions can be converted to the Flexible Employment
Program at any time.
skip navigation bar
SPP manual |
ASU policies and procedures manuals | Index of Policies by Title |
SPP manual contact |
Human Resources Web site
Back to Top