RSP 605–02: Travel of
Research Investigators to Potential
To allow principal investigators who otherwise lack the resources to meet with potential sponsors so they may market their ideas or interests and gain a better understanding of the goals of funding organizations
Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development (OKED)
To enable principal
investigator (PI) or investigators to meet with staff of
potential sponsors, the vice
provost for research has established a program entitled Travel of
Research Investigators to Potential Sponsors (TRIPS) to fund travel
and per diem expenses.
- The proposed project or program must be of substantial nature,
- At minimum, a letter of intent or a preproposal for the project
must be prepared for submission or presentation to the potential
sponsor. A copy must be attached to the TRIPS application, which is
to be submitted to the Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development
- Travel must be to the sponsor headquarters or regional
headquarters. TRIPS support is not available to meet sponsor staff
at other meeting places.
- A formal appointment must be made in advance of the trip and in
advance of requesting funds from the OKED.
- There is a limit of one trip per fiscal year on a no-match
basis. Additional trips within the fiscal year will require at
least a 50 percent match from the department, college, or
- The project must not be funded currently by the target
- Support will be limited to one person and to:
- coach, round-trip airfare (economy rate, if available)
purchased at least two weeks in advance to any place in the lower
continental United States
- one day’s lodging and per diem.
- Application forms for support from this program are available
in the OKED.
- Concurrence of the department chair or center director and the
dean, shown by their signatures on the TRIPS Application and Approval Form is
required for all trip requests. Notice of matching support is
required for additional trip requests within the fiscal year.
- A memorandum report of the meeting’s results must be
submitted to the OKED within one week after returning from the
- The principal investigator must lack the financial resources necessary to make the trip to the sponsor in order to qualify for the TRIPS program.
First Trip to a Potential Sponsor
- Prepare a proposal, pre-proposal, or letter of intent.
- Make an appointment with the sponsor’s staff and arrange travel and lodging.
- Obtain a TRIPS Application and
Approval Form from the OKED.
- Complete the form and obtain the signatures of the department
chair or center director and dean.
- Submit the completed form along with a copy of the proposal,
preproposal, or letter of intent to the OKED.
- Review the application for program requirements, and decide
whether to fund the trip.
- Submit a travel authorization to Travel Reimbursements.
- Make the trip.
- Submit a memorandum report of the meeting’s results to
Additional Trips within the Fiscal
The principal investigator prepares for additional trips within
the fiscal year by following this procedure:
- Prepare a proposal, preproposal, or white paper. The Office of
General Counsel should review these to be sure they do not create
binding legal obligations.
- Obtain a commitment of matching funds from the department,
college, or unit.
- Follow steps 2 through 8 of the first trip procedure
skip navigation bar
RSP manual |
ASU policies and procedures manuals | Index of Policies by Title |
RSP manual contact |
ORSPA Web site