PTS 501: Commuter Options
To comply with state law and improve air quality
Clean Air Act
Arizona Revised Statutes §§
49–581 to –593
ASU Commuter Options Plan
In compliance with Arizona law, the university’s commuter
options manager conducts an annual survey of employees and students
at any ASU site with 50 or more employees/students, writes an
annual ASU Trip Reduction Plan based on the survey analysis, and
submits the plan to the Maricopa County Travel Reduction Program
(TRP) for approval by the Trip Reduction Task Force. The university
then implements the approved plan in good faith.
Required Survey Goals
- Each group surveyed must meet a 60 percent response rate or the
survey must be redone; if the response rate is 61–75 percent,
two additional communication measures must be added to the
- An annual 10 percent decrease in the single occupancy vehicle
(SOV) rate or single occupancy vehicle miles traveled (SOVMT) rate
should be achieved annually until the floor of 60 percent is
Penalties for Noncompliance
Civil penalties for noncompliance with the TRP mandate are shown
in the following chart.
||Charge per Day|
Nonattainment of goals is not considered a violation if a good
faith effort to attain goals has been made and documented. Each
element of the plan not sufficiently implemented counts as a
separate daily violation until corrected.
ASU Commuter Options Program Services
- Provide information to the university community about commuter
- alternative work schedules
- bicycle program/Bike Share Program/bike storage
- mass transit/light rail/Park and Ride
- vanpool/carpool/rider matching services
- inter-campus shuttles
- car sharing
- high pollution advisories
- Donít Drive in Five Contest
- Provide incentives to participate in the commuter options
- Provide rideshare matching among university
- Provide express shuttle service between West campus, Downtown Phoenix campus, and Tempe
- Provide express shuttle service between Polytechnic campus and Tempe campus.
- Administer the Free Local Area SHuttle (FLASH) bus at Tempe
campus in conjunction with the City of Tempe.
- Coordinate neighborhood shuttles in conjunction with the City
- Administer the ASU U-Pass valid on all Valley Metro
buses and light rail.
- Administer the Employee Platinum Transit Pass Program.
- Provide bicycle racks and parking on all ASU campuses.
- Oversee installation of bus shelters
- Administer the Car Sharing Program (ZipCar).
- Notify the ASU community of all high air pollution advisories.
- Utilize social media for communication to the ASU community.
||For additional commuter options information, see the
PTS Services Web
For additional information on transit services, see PTS 601, “Transit Services.”
skip navigation bar
PTS manual |
ASU policies and procedures manuals | Index of Policies by Title |
PTS manual contact | Parking and Transit Services Web site